Saturday 24 November 2012

Cats on Tuesday... and then there were three

I've decided not to do the Scavenger Hunt this week, instead this is a very early Cats on Tuesday.  I've been wondering how best to write this post for a few days now...  as some of you know already, we had to say goodbye to Posky on 20th November.  He had been very unwell and very unhappy for the last few weeks and his blood test results showed that despite the efforts of his vets and ourselves, his kidneys were no longer responding to treatment.  So we made the decision to let him go.  

I don't however, want this post to dwell on the sadness of that day, or for it to turn into one of those mawkishly sentimental outpourings of grief that make the cats and myself feel queasy.  That would not be right for such a glorious, madcap, breathtakingly beautiful being as my boy. Besides, Posky didn't do sentiment; he did joie de vivre, impish fun, honest affection and love, and a huge appetite for life (and food, mustn't forget the food).  Did you know he was the only one of my cats to have his own MySpace page?  That he was my study-buddy and that I owe my BA(Hons) and MA to his inspiring thoughts?  That when I was upset he sat on my desk and kissed the tears from my eyes?  Or that when he had been out in the cold his fur turned to velvet?

...And do I miss him?  God yes, his absence is  a tangible thing.  He was a part of  my world for so long that things seem out of kilter without him.  But I knew him for 17 years and my life was better for his being in it, and that's no small thing.  So I will just leave you with a celebration in images of the one and only, unforgettable Posky.















Posky in the sun on New Year's Day


Posky


Posky and the catnip ball




That eureka moment

  David and Posky...


Red


Posky...


David and Posky  18/366


Posky In the garden


Posky 2



The little illustrations of Posky were for an article I wrote about him and ourselves for a cat mag - he loved fame :O)


15 comments:

callmemadam said...

I'm so sorry. Been there, too often.

The Silver Bunny said...

I write this comment with tears in my eyes ; what a beautiful tribute !xoxo

Anonymous said...

A very beautiful tribute to a very beautiful boy, Barbara. Not that I could see it properly for tears.

Penny

Gattina said...

Very sad news ! There is not much to say, I know how you feel. I went through it 3 times. There is an empty space now and the grief is there. It takes some time to get over it, but he will be forever in your heart. He was a lucky cat, he had such a good life !

Laloofah said...

I have to say, that while the very sad news of Posky's passing made me cry when I learned of it, this perfect tribute to him made me smile. It's just beautiful, and very touching, and wonderfully amusing. I think Posky would love it!

It was fun to see some photos of him I'd never seen before, but I was most delighted to see that photo of your paws & feet together included in it! Just last week I was revisiting some of your archived posts and saw that photo again, and I was so hoping that it would end up in your tribute post! I love the beautiful photos of you and David with Posky, but there's something about this "sweet feets" photo that's just so celebratory and fun, it seems to sum up both Posky's joie d'vivre, your own playfulness, and your relationship as buddies better than any other.

I can imagine how much you must miss him, and my heart aches for you. Thank you so much for sharing him through your photos and wonderful descriptions, your "drama in the garden" posts and your emails. I'm so glad he shared such a long and happy life with you, and that you have not just your memories, but your exquisite photos of him to enjoy forever. Sending much love...

William Kendall said...

I'm very sorry that you've lost him. Seventeen years is a good age for a cat, and this is a wonderful tribute to him.

Looking through those pictures, I was thinking, "what a grand fellow."

Norma said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my bird Sam almost two years ago, and he, too, was a real character.

Thank you for sharing Posky and these beautiful photos with all of us....

Kmcblackburn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. These creatures are not "pets" to us..they are family. So happy you have such beautiful photos to keep him before your eyes.

Rune Eide said...

It is sad when such things has to be done, but at least you have some marvellous photographic memories. My personal favourite must be the on with the red shoes.

Daisy said...

Rest in peace Posky. I am glad you had a happy, long life.

Sharon Wagner said...

You have such beautiful photos to remember Posky by. 17 years is a long time. But it is never long enough.

jabblog said...

I'm so sorry to read of Posky's passing - your last act for him was an act of kindness. Beautiful memories of a memorable boy.

Ellen Whyte said...

Posky was a terrific cat and he had a terrific life. One day, if we're very good, we have such a good time too.

Rejen said...

He is lovely and beatyful..;-D

Deb said...

I just saw these photos today Barbara. My heart leaped out of me...they are so beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...