Wednesday 18 April 2012

Wordless Wednesday...

WW_KW

The fabulous Swan Dive course continues... Below are three interpretations of the same flower shot that I took in a cafe on Saturday (and got some strange looks from the owners in doing so).  I love the freedom of just playing with the images to see what happens!

Interestingly I had a discussion with a friend at work who said if you alter someone's portrait through processing it no longer shows the truth.  I just laughed and said the camera always lies - you can make it say what you want.  Who is to say which one of these pics shows the truth of the moment?  And who's truth would that be?  It's all just interpretation... (thanks to Nietzsche for that last thought).  Heavy stuff for a rainy Wednesday morning...


Red Flower 1 
Red Flower


Red Flower 2
Red flower - not so red...


Red Flower
Red flower with a bit of a leak...

9 comments:

Amy said...

Love these, Bee! I think it's funny you got funny looks from anyone for photographing a flower--wow. They should see students from Viv's self portrait classes in action! ;-) Love the conversation about truth and manipulation of an image. That's a meaty one!

Linda said...

I understand the funny looks - I photographed a beautiful red and white dahlia at a little pizza place a few months ago - guess most people there didn't even notice the stunning flowers on the table! I love how you played with the flower...I like the first one best.

Simon said...

My fave is the first one, but nice to see 3 versions. I photograph things no matter who is watching and thinking I'm nuts.
Breezing in from Kent's WW.

Laloofah said...

I love the "leaky" red one best - you made rainbow colors! (I'm a sucker for colors).

It's certainly true that no two people see something in quite the same way, as we look at everything through our own lenses of perspective, prejudice and perception. Even each individual sees the same thing differently at different times. When I've had the chance to revisit as an adult a house I lived in as a child, they and their yards always look so much smaller than I remembered and had seen them in my mind's eye for all those intervening years! :-)

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

Beautiful!! No need for words.

Ellen Whyte said...

Pretty. Like the one with the tartan cloth best. Must be the Scots in me.

Studyjunkie said...

Great post, Barbara. Interestingly it coincides with me reading an article in The May edition of Digital Photo where they showed you how to edit a portrait of a woman. They enlarged her eyes, and the pupils, thinned her nose, slimmed her jawline and used the warp tool to "enhance" her smile. Is this a blueprint for beauty? I found it slightly scary.

Barbara said...

Thanks Rachael! I have a loathing of those over processed glamour portraits you often see - they don't look like people with characters, more like waxwork dummies. I don't mind editing a portrait so it's 'this is you but on a really good day' but to try and make someone's face conform to someone else's idealised version of what a woman should look like? Noooo! And have you seen those ads for software in the photo mags for touching up portraits? I always think the model looks better before!

deb did it said...

awesome shots!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...