Wednesday 16 March 2011

World Book Night News...

 I had a lovely surprise today, a parcel arrived from my sister in law Ruth as part of World Book Night.  She'd very kindly sent me Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,  a novel set in the 1960s based around Nigeria's Biafra war. I started it this afternoon, have read almost 100 pages and so far am loving it.  I haven't read a lot of literature from Africa, although I did enjoy Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.  This book could seriously make me want to read more.  So thank you Ruth!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise! And what a nice sister-in-law!

I was catching up on The Book Show this evening (saved on Sky+) and one of the authors' recommendation for a book that should be read by all young people was Things Fall Apart! I haven't read it yet...

Penny

Ruth said...

Great to hear that you are enjoying it. Don't forget to pass it on!

Barbara said...

Where can I get a sister-in-law like that? Mine aren't readers. Sigh! One is an excellent quilter though, and I've greatly benefitted from her talents.

Barbara said...

Barbara - I know, it was really thoughtful wasn't it? Oh I love quilt crafts, one of the things I'd really like to try but there just aren't enough hours in the day. Some of the ones I've seen have been works of art.

BooksPlease said...

I loved Half of a Yellow Sun - that was a great gift from your SIL.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...