Saturday 2 October 2010

World Vegetarian Day

I meant to post this yesterday as it was World Vegetarian Day and the start of Vegetarian Awareness Month (strange title, as if you normally ignore vegetarians and now you get to notice them for October.. but what the heck!).

So...Why am I a veggie?

Because I don't think animals are there for our benefit.
Because I think it's wrong to make another living being suffer.
Because animals feel pain and fear as much as we do.
Because I think it's hypocritical that we treat certain animals as friends and companions and others as merely commodities.
Because we don't need meat.
Because factory farming is barbaric, and non-humans deserve their time in the sun as much as we do.
Because vegetarianism is good for your health, the environment and the animals.
Because I love good food.
Because it's part of who I am.

And a few words from the wise...

"Whatever my own practice may be, I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other when they came in contact with the more civilized." -Henry David Thoreau

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Immanuel Kant

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Mohandas Gandhi (a.k.a. Mahatma)

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
"It is my view that a vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."
Albert Einstein, physicist, 1921 Nobel Prize recipient

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites, or women for men."
Alice Walker, American author, The Color Purple

"One is not a great one because one defeats or harms other living beings. One is so called because one refrains from defeating or harming other living beings."  The Buddha

Have a happy veggie day!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I was a vegetarian years ago and although I did go back to eating meat, I eat very little of it. Guess I'm a semi-vegetarian. I agree with your reasons for not eating meat; probably one day I'll drop it altogether once again. I also abhor all the medicines and chemicals given to farm animals these days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...